Sunday, February 26, 2012

Endurance Corner Camp & "Bronzin' " in the dirty "T"

So my plan of writing a daily blog was kiboshed from day one. After 5.5 hours of training the first day, I was in bed by 7:30PM!! I flew into Tucson, late Friday PM and got to bed by midnight. I tried to sleep in, but my typical 4:30 internal clock tends to get in the way, but I managed to get a little extra sleep and was up at 6:15. I laid there and did actually get back to sleep until 7:45. First workout was a ride with Chris and we rolled out a bit after 9AM. 4 hours was on the docket and we ended up with 3:45. (I guess that is what happens when you ride with a sub 4:30 Ironman bike split)
This is the norm here in Tucson, there are alot of open ranges

I have to say, after being on the trainer all winter, man it was a treat to be out on the road. For some reason, I had better power numbers on the road that I have had all winter on the trainer. Now this could be from a number of things, rested, excited to be outside, or riding with the "big man." All in all, it was a good ride and ended up the back side of Gates Pass (GP). If you haven't ridden GP, it is fairly short climb, about 10 mins, but man does it kick up at the end.

The beginning of Gates Pass

So the "REAL" reason I came to Tucson is to get a good tan. I mean, heck, there isn't much better of place to get to train and have awesome weather. Just kidding, but really, I am working on it. I forgot to put some suntan lotion on before the ride and this is what I got. I guess I need to work on those lines throughout the week.

After the ride, Chris and I headed out for a nice little 40 min jog. Shortly after, Marilyn, Chris and I headed to the University of Arizona pool for an hour session. Needless to say, it was a pull bouy and paddles day. My legs to say the least weren't cooperating. Its been a long time since I have had my legs cramp kicking off the wall. That being said, it is hands down one of the best pools I have swam in.

Dinner shortly followed and then an early bedtime. One thing here in Tucson that you notice right away is how dry it is. My throat and lungs were burning by days end of the workouts. The other thing, is you can get dehydrated quickly. My lips are a feeling quite chapped.

Day 1 Totals
Bike: 3:45
Run: :40
Swim: :60
Total: 5:25

Today wasn't much different. This time Marilyn and I rolled out for 2:15 ride. However, this time I learnt my lesson and applied the "red head" sun block...SPF 55!!!

Once again, we ended up the back side of GP and.... IT DIDN't GET ANY EASIER!!! After a short break, I ran down to Jeff's hotel and Gordo, Jeff and I took off for a 45 min stroll on the river path. Keeping the theme of "Bronzin'," I of course ran in just shorts, I'm gonna have that tan evened out before I leave!!! At the last minute, G, Jeff and I eneded up swimming 2K in the hotel pool which happen to be 25m long, a nice little treat.

As a part of the training week, I will be help with the Endurance Corner training camp that Gordo and Justin Daerr put on. We had dinner this evening with all the campers. As always with triathlon, one of the reason it is such a great sport is all the people you get to meet from across the country, camp will be no different. There are athletes from coast to coast, all different abilities, all different backgrounds, coalesced in the dirty "T" for one week of training. Its gonna be a fun week.

Day 2 Totals
Bike: 2:15
Run: :45
Swim: :30
Total: 3:30
Tomorrow, camp starts off with a 1000 meter time trial in the pool, followed by a run and then a couple hour ride with a 5 mile all out effort time trial again.

Livin' the dream!
Crazy J

No comments: