Sunday, November 11, 2012

Bittersweet

Mountain Bike Ride in the foothills of Boise - Nov. 2012
Today marks a special day in my life.  My move from Boise, ID back to Winston-Salem, NC.  It represents the closing of one chapter and the opening of a new one.  The chapter that I closed was one that has come with many unforgettable memories and experiences that I will take to my deathbed.  It has been bittersweet.  For the last 13 years, I have had a unique, once in a lifetime relationship with my oldest brother, Jeff.  Jeff is 11 years and some change older than I, so it made for perfect union between brothers.  Just as I was becoming a young man, Jeff was well on his way to a career and in a place to foster a relationship that has led to many opportunities and successes in this young life of mine.  He had  obtained enough life experiences and wisdom to help guide me in a direction that I am forever thankful.  
Fishing in Bennett Springs, MO
To take a trip down memory lane for us, here is a brief timeline of some of the amazing things we have shared together. 

1999 - I had just finished my freshman year at the University of Missouri-Columbia and had always been interested in medicine.  At the same time, Jeff was in Nashville, TN at Vanderbilt completing his Peds Ortho fellowship.  I came out for the summer and this was the beginning of a relationship that would lead us to an active lifestyle and lifetime full of memories.

2000 - After Nashville, I went back to Mizzou. Jeff to Winston-Salem, NC to begin working at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center.  Our time apart only lasted 3 months and before I knew it, I was moving to Winston-Salem, NC to finish undergrad and move in with him.  It was W-S that we did our first triathlon together that would ultimately lead us on a crazy journey.
Omnium Cycling Race in St. Louis circa 2002'ish
2003 - We both did our first Ironman in Brazil.   Even though our days were very different, Jeff and I finished within a minute of each other. 

2002 - About 1 week from New Year's Eve, Jeff and I didn't have any plans.  At the last minute, we decided to head to NY and go to a Karl Denson and the Tiny Universe concert in Times Square at BB Kings.  We left late afternoon New Year's Eve, saw the 9P-12A show, then scalped some more tickets and went back to see the 12A-3A show.  We returned home mid afternoon on New Year's day, door to door in 23 hours.  What a trip!
Jeff and I at Karl Denson Concert - New York 
2003 (September) - Jeff was asked to speak internationally in Italy.  It just happened to be during the Vuelta a Espana.  In true form, Jeff asked if I wanted to go along to Italy and then over to Spain to watch the race.  Hard to describe in words how much fun we had.  Imagine, 2 brothers, in a Renualt "mini" car chasing the Vuelta on winding back roads for 5 days.  Driving like maniacs to get ahead of the race to see the peloton roll by for 20 seconds, 2 cameras in each of our hands, snapping photos, jumping back in the car, pedal to the floor on back roads trying to get ahead of them to do it all over.  Rolling through small towns, trying to use the little bit of spanish I know to navigate or eat some food.  At one point, we tried to get in the caravan of cars for the race, the police quickly stopped us.   One night, couldn't get a hotel room, ended up staying in a closet room with a bed in it, crazy!!! 


2003 (December) - Jeff became team doc for team USA at short -course worlds in Queenstown, NZ.  Off we headed to  NZ that marked incredible and lifelong memories, super crazy fun!

2005 (January) - Jeff surprised me for my birthday with a trip to Australia to go to Epic Camp put on by Scott Molina and Gordo Byrn.   Basically 12 days of training volume that I never thought was even humanly possible, if I recall, we did something close to 60hrs of training in a week, super nutty!!!

2005 (May) - We headed back to Brazil for redemption at IM Brazil.  Jeff qualified for Kona for the first time.  Pretty amazing given 2 years after we started IM he had success pretty quickly.  A feat that I am still chasing today 10 years later. 

2005 (June) - I finally started the stepping stones to a career in medicine as I entered in the Physician Assistant Program at Wake Forest.  I think Jeff had to pull a few strings on that one ;-)

2005 (October) - Headed to Hawaii for the first time to watch Jeff race at the IM World Champs in Kona.  Jeff had a banner day, awesome trip!!
2006 White Lake 1/2
2007 - Jeff had the opportunity to take a sabbatical and does.  I finished PA school that year and he heads out to Boulder, CO to train with Gordo Byrn as he is preparing to win IM Canada.  As I finished PA school, he offered me the opportunity to come live with his family in Boulder and train full time.  How could I say no!?!?!?  This was a dream lifetime experience, training full time and the opportunity to train with the folks that we read about in the magazines.


Myself, Gordo and Jeff


Jeff and I at the top of Chautauqua Park in Boulder

Team Good Guys in Boulder 2007
 2007 - To cap off our experience in Boulder, we road tripped up to IM Canada in Pentictan.  Our Dad came along, great trip!!! 

2008 - Jeff moved to Boise, I stayed in W-S and began working.

2009 - In perfect form, Jeff established himself in Boise and was in need of a PA.  Well, who better....I am sure you can guess!!!!

2009 - Upon my return from Boulder and starting my first job, my training was put on the back burner and I was pretty out of shape.  Wasn't quite ready to get back into triathlon, but Jeff had this crazy idea to do this race in Sweden called Otillo as a team.  The race was across the Stockholm archipelagos, 19 islands, starting from the northern most island to the most southern island....all by your own means.  We ended up swimming 6.2 miles, running 30 miles and biking 15 miles.  Took 5th overall and 1st american team.  

2011 - We did 2 IM's together, IM St. George (he qualified for Kona the 4th time there) and IM Louisville (closest I've been to qualifying Kona, missed it by 4 minutes) 
Pre-Race IM Louisville 2011
Pre-Race IM Louisville 2011
Jeff and I in the finishing chute
As I reminisce about our life together, I am not sure there are many brothers out there that can match that road traveled.   It has taken us to Hawaii, Brazil (twice), New Zealand, Australia, Italy, Spain, Sweden and Canada together.  As I close this chapter, my tears are of happiness.  Jeff, thanks!!! Looking forward to double these experiences as our family now grows!

For the new chapter, I couldn't be any luckier to go from one amazing relationship with a brother to a life-long adventure with the love of my life.  It has been nearly 6 years since Heather and I have been together....and we are finally aligning our lives to begin our adventure in this game called life.  Hang on baby, if the above aforementioned experiences are any indication of what its gonna be like, we are gonna have a great life......and as important, we'll be lucky to experience it with that other crazy Shilt household.

Humbly Lucky,
J



No comments: