Sunday, July 15, 2007

Final Prep and Run Test


Not much has gone on this week. Being that it is a rest week, just been keeping it constant everyday, nothing hard, just keeping the blood flowing. The one important thing on the schedule this week was the MAP run test. The MAP test is to objectively measure aerobic improvements during training. As you plot your data, over time you hope that your aerobic speed increases at the same aerobic heart rate.

But before I go on, I would like to congratulate BDC for an awesome race up at the Lifetime Fitness Triathlon this past weekend. He raced as and elite amateur and took 2nd overall with a blistering run of 35:40. Way to represent Team Good Guys....

So the plan was to warm up for about 15 minutes, run 2 loops on the track to get my HR steady at 155 and run 3miles on the track tracking each mile’s time. So why 155 HR? Well, nothing really too scientific. Gordo initially instructed me to use 150 and more recently has given me a 155 cap on my long runs. In addition, when speaking with Jeff about this run test, he asked me, “Do you think you can run 155 late in the marathon?” Embarrassing as it is to admit, I don’t really have any run data and considering the trend of my “typical” HR’s, I decided that #1 – I need all the beats I can get and #2 – Being a little on the younger side, it seemed reasonable.

So I ventured on my way to Boulder H.S. track, but before I left, I made sure to shave, this was going to be treated like a race. I wasn’t going to leave any seconds behind. LOL So, as I began to run, my mind became cluttered with dismal thoughts about what my results were going to be, what I was gonna do about my race day plan if they were indeed poor, how was I going to justify my time here Boulder if I can’t run when I leave here? It then was countered with, “This is just the beginning John, you can’t expect results in 3 months...besides, don’t forget about project 26.2, it’s gonna take a couple of years. Just use it as a data point and let it motivate you to become an aerobic machine (as G’s says).”

So, what were my expectations? Given my insecurities on the run, I didn’t expect much and prepared myself for the worst. The only partial-run data that I do have and which isn’t much, is the Boulder Res run a few weeks ago. I ran 8:30’s/mile and I figured with my efforts to run that, I would be seeing times in that range, probably a little more close to 9:00/mile. As I ran out the door, Jeff encouraged me to focus on running smooth and keeping it steady. So off I was...

I ran for about 12 minutes in the 130 HR range until I got to the track. I proceeded to run my two "buffering" loops to get my HR steady at 155. Punched my start time and started rolling. The first mile was somewhat difficult and my breathing was somewhat a little labored, but my HR was right at 155. Knowing my background, I knew it would take a mile or so to relax. I began to focus on a few things. My run form, my breathing, and relaxing. For my form, Gordo gave me a few “Running Resets” to think about at the last running clinic. First, chin down, to help shift things up top more forward. Secondly, my arms. Make sure they are in the appropriate position at my side and that I am pulling backwards with my elbows relaxing on the frontward swing of the wrist. In addition, don’t swing across my torso and keep the wrist in the vertical plan. The 2nd lap I began to feel quite a bit more relaxed and more toward that “running sweet spot” that Bobby talks about during run clinic. I will say this is the most focused on the run that I have been in quite some time. To be honest, really as long as I can remember. It brought back some of those track memories and I began to realize that track running wasn’t all that bad. I must have forgotten a little over the past 6 years. It was nice for once to remove many of the external disruptions such as up-hills and down-hills, the pressures of my pals running in front of me or behind me (hold on, I am the caboose on the squad, so just those running in front of me :-)), fatigue, etc. The 3rd lap I finally got into a rhythm and felt very at peace and comfortable running my pace. There were two positive images rummaging in my mind and they oscillated between the pic you see above which is part of G’s article about "The Quest for 2:45" (which you can read by clicking on it)and the other image was Bobby McGee (BM), a reminder to maintain form. Actually, it was BM that made the corrections that you see on G’s running form, it only seemed appropriate.

Having the internal feeling that my first lap was way too fast even though my HR was on, I decided that I would do another mile and use miles 2-4 as the “real” run data. I just didn’t feel right for that mile and it only seemed appropriate to keep it movin’ for one more. So here are the results…..

LAP // TIME // AVG HR
==================
1 // 7:23 // 155
2 // 7:51 // 155
3 // 8:02 // 155
4 // 8:05 // 155

So what does this all mean? Well, first of all, not as bad as I thought, but still quite a bit from my run goal of 3:29:59. I am happy that I did not run in the 9:00 range as I had worried about. Realsitcally, I really needed to be more near the 7:30/min range, so off about :30 secs. Typically when you do a test like this, you add about :30 seconds to your mile time. Your mile time plus :30 is most likely what you can hold on the IM marathon, pending you don’t shell yourself on the bike. I will test one more time before Canada. Realistically, I am not going to gain :30 seconds between now and then, but even if I can 10, I’ll take it. That will put my marathon fitness around 3:40. Much better considering I have never broken 4 hours in IM.

Tuesday will begin our final prep block for IMC. It is very race specific and is going to be a blast. I will be heading home Thursday for a few days for Jen’s birthday, but will continue on the plan there. For me, the only thing that I really will be missing is the Team Time Trial on Thursday. Last time, it was about a 60-mile ride with 3 hard efforts going at your max with the 2nd effort and all out effort to the last man standing. To make it fun for the boys, Gordo has offered up a $5 KOM Bonus preme for the first person to a point decided by him. That $5 is just not $5, it comes along with some bragging rights, so you can imagine the carnage that will be left on the road that day. It probably is an omen that I am not going to be here, last time I saw a HR of 181. For this block, I will need all the HR’s that I can save to finish this block successfully. Needless to say, high end is not my limiter, so instead, I will be home running easy at an aerobic effort, much more beneficial for me.


6 weeks to the day,
J

1 comment:

toofewbikes said...

John, I have to admit I'm jealous. It sounds like you are setting yourself up for a successful race. I look forward to hearing about your race.