Wednesday, July 4, 2007

I'm Le Tired


I didn’t really have a great pic for this entry, so I put the pic of this funny cartoon. You definitely need to watch it, it is hilarious. Plus, it will then make more sense of my title. It is called End of the World, click here.

####

I am in the middle of this monstrous week and I am as tired as I have been so far here in BOCO. Let me catch you up on what has been going on the past couple days since the Boulder Res run.

On Monday, it was a rest day after the big run and all I did was ride for a bit. On Tuesday, I had a track session in the morning. Plan was to 6 x 800m, descending each one. Let me tell you, this were killers. I haven’t ran this hard since my short college stint doing the 800m in track. I will say, I definitely don’t miss them. So this is how my 800’s panned out...

(time-Avg HR-MaxHR)
1-3:05, 164, 173
2-2:57, 169, 181
3-2:50, 175, 187
4-2:46, 177, 187
5-2:47, 176, 187
6-2:46, 176, 188

The goal was to get near my max HR at the end, which I accomplished. I will say that I was a little disappointed in my times, but I’ll take what I can get. Back in the day, I wasn't fast by collegiate standards, but my fastest time was 1:59. Crazy to think that I used run this 45 seconds faster. Although with my dissappointment, I was quickly reminded by the mates that I shouldn’t be disappointed running a 5:30/mile pace considering I just finished my long run at 8:30/mile pace. Maybe there is an upside...we’ll keep digging.

After the track session in the morning, we went on a 4-hour ride towards Ft. Collins. The ride wasn’t too bad, but I definitely felt the track workout from the morning. I definitely took a nap yesterday and still proceeded to hit the sack early.

Today, we got up to swim at 6AM. Did 3K and then on the road at 8AM for a 6.5-hour ride. I have been waiting for my melt down and today I had it. It was a big climbing day. I am not for sure how much climbing there was, but I would say that we climbed for close 40% of the day, which for me is painful. I am not for sure how long into the ride we were, probably around 3.5-4 hours, but I lost it. It reminded me of Brandon’s tantrum at the Winter Park mini camp we did. You should check out his blog, mine was much the same. At some point as I was looking up at the switchbacks and Jeff was up the road, I completely stopped and got off my bike. I was sure I was done for the day, not only the day, but I was done with triathlon. I was miserable, my legs were killing me and I was wondering why in the heck would I come out here to Boulder to train like this and be so miserable. I was on the verge of putting my thumb out to get me to the top of the climb. Not sure if it really would have mattered, b/c no car would have driven me 30 minutes up the road to top anyway. Well, after a little “come to Jesus” with myself, about 8 oz. of coke, some GORP, and some i-tunes, I was back in the saddle grinding away. It is quite interesting how just a little “self-session” can make a difference. The rest of day was uneventful and I actually finished the last hour of the day with a strong TT home.

All in all, I am pretty tired right now. Legs are pretty tired as I have accumulated over 13 hours so far this week. Massage might be in the near future, there happens to be a massage school here in Boulder and it is only $35/hour.

Tomorrow is a rest day, have 5x1000 in the pool. Friday is a medium day with 1.5 swim, 1.5 bike and hour run. This weekend will be epic as we are doing a 150-mile ride on Saturday to Wiggins and long run on Sunday. Will check back in the next few days.

Hope everyone is doing well. If anyone has any suggestions or anything they would like to hear about, email me at QuadJRanch@aol.com.

One foot in front of the other,
John

7 comments:

TJ said...

just found your site via gordo...
good luck with the massive training weekend you have in store....makes me tired just thinkin about it.

John Shilt said...

Thanks TJ....good luck with your training for IM FL.

gary said...

John - I'm curious how the track workouts are worked into your run training? Are they a key session for a day or are they considered a second workout. How many track sessions do you anticipate doing and do you feel they fit in well with your big week?

I have a lot of questions regarding this because of my own current run situation. My goal and current fitness is similar to yours.

If interested, check out my race report from the Mountaineer on my blog..... all similar thoughts as to your "Run Goal Checkin..." post.

Hope your weekend goes well!

John Shilt said...

I haven't done many and the ones that I have done and will do are considered a key session of the day. Because they are usually at a pretty high intensity, the afternoon workout should be (sometimes I haven't obeyed well) well under AeT. I don't anticpate doing many, probably only one or two more between now and IM Canada. I typically do them on a Tuesday, right after a rest day and the session is not much more than a few miles. I was a tad sore for two days post-session, but it didn't affect my training. I just didn't try and punch it again for 48 hours.

As for you run, is high end training your limiter or do you lack durabilty? For myself, I lack durabilty and endurance, therefore running at AeT is mandatory for me to build some base endurance. On the radar, this will be built over the next year a two. As for you, if you have been doing some long and slow training, I think you could add maybe a couple of track workouts in between now and then, but it is absolutely pertinent that you recover them. It is a good way to shell yourself if you aren't careful.

Good luck and rock IMMOO
J

gary said...

John - Thanks for the info... my running is my strong area and I don't feel like durability is an issue I face. I have run 8 marathons over the past 8 years (not 1 a year though) and long (and slower) runs are a staple of my diet.

My PR for a marathon is 3:04, with my most recent one (2006) at 3:08. These times have come down from 3:53 and 4:00 since I've been implementing some of Gordo's ideas (2001) and worked with a professor/coach at U of NE.

I really think that steady state cycling is my limiter, especially after the Mountaineer this past weekend.... but still wondering if a little intensity in my running would help some. (Maybe the key is just steady state cycling?)

I love getting different view points into all the training you guys are doing... thanks for posting.

I like the multi-year perspective. If you look at the 9/16/2006 post on my blog, you'll see my 3 year plan.. so far so good.

Keep rollin' IMC is right there!

Tammy said...

OMG that cartoon ROCKS!!! Thanks for sharing. And keep up the running, you'll break past that sluggist 5:30-mile pace sometime (Ha! I dream of that pace!!)

KP said...

Hey hey John --

Looks like things are going very well up there. Be sure to pause and soak up all your surroundings. This will be a summer for the ages.

KP