Friday, August 17, 2007

Life is like a box of chocolates......

We officially left Boulder today for Penticton, BC. All packed in the Yukon, Jeff, Erin, Laney, McKenzie, myself and of course the dog Luna are headed to Bozeman, MT to catch up with one of Jeff's medical school buddies. As we drove out of town, it began to stir all the awesome memories of what got us here and those we had here. The first memory that came to mind was planning the trip. Being on this earth for 27 years, I have been lucky to experience a lot of the world. The opportunities that I have been given are priceless, things that I will always hold in my heart. The opportunity to train here in BOCO is no different. At first when the idea arose, I was very apprehensive as it would fall right after I graduated. It seemed that I should do what everyone else was doing in my class, go get a J-O-B. BUT, once again, as so many times it has happened, my brother offered to take me along with him. He granted me the opportunity and see a different side of life, a gift that he has given me. He convinced me it would be something that I may not get to do again and thank God for his wisdom, he was right. (Its back to real world after this.) It would fulfill one of my dreams...go to Boulder and see how the “big boys” do it. With the actual oppurtunity, it always is necessary to have support.

As it seems to be a common theme of the blogs lately, at least those in the squad, these opportunities would not be happening without the support of family. As you would expect, Mom and Dad have always supported me no matter what. I can’t tell you how many times I have spoke to them about some crazy idea that I wanted to do or had, but as always, they patiently listened and have never discouraged me. This time was no different. They shook their heads smiling and comforted me with their full support. It’s always nice to get on the phone with them, they genuinely love to hear what we do day to day, it sure is good for the soul.

My other brother Jason, who lives in the Midwest and unfortunately I don’t get to see him and his family often b/c of distance, gave me one of my first memories of running. I was probably about 12 years old, and he was in college at the time. He came home to visit and for some reason we went running around the neighborhood. I remember distinctly to this day what he told me as we went running that day, “Breath in through your nose and exhale out through your mouth. Keep your hands relaxed.” Little did I know at the time, that these basic principals of running relaxed would be useful to me 15 years later. Thanks bro, wish you could have made it up here to Canada.

And of course, my oldest brother Jeff. I couldn’t be more appreciative of the person he has been to me. For the last 8 years, he has been a role model, a brother, a motivator, the DEVIL (LOL, just kidding), but most importantly a best friend. Always encouraging me to strive higher and better, giving me endless support in every fashion. This journey with him is another one for the books, always excited what the next one will bring. But for now, we are once again on this journey together and we have some goals to meet. Watch out for that guy at IM Canada, he just might be one of the fastest age-groupers on two feet running 42K…stay light on your feet, see you at the finish line.

######


As for race day, I am currently writing down my top goals for the race. I am not sure if I will make them public, but will definitely share them once the race is over. It was a suggestion from Kate, one of the stellar triathletes I have gotten to meet while here in Boulder. All in all, I am staring to feel better each day. Not as “peppy” as I want to be, but I don’t need to be for 10 more days.



As some of you may not know, I found 2 cracks in my head tube about 5 weeks ago on my bike. I had to send it off to get repaired in hopes of getting it back quickly for Canada. Thankfully, G let me borrow his extra bike, a Cervelo P3SL. About one week later, my heart rate monitor went dead and I had to send that off as well. With no power meter or heart rate monitor, the last handful of weeks I have been training off of feel. The plan was that I would get my bike with about 3 weeks to go and my watch would be returned within 7-10 business days. As luck would have it, neither one of those time lines were met, not even closely. I got my bike back yesterday and my watch came back 2 days ago. Needless to say, my levels were a little high in the anxiety department. But, as of now, I couldn’t be any happier to have them here, better late than never. Along with the repair of my bike, they had to strip the chili pepper design and re-paint. For time sake, I changed my color scheme and this is the new facelift for the race machine. I must say, I am very happy with the change, it is very pristine looking. Here she is...

######


As for Team Good Guys (TGG), thanks to the fellas for an unforgettable summer of training. Not only a talented group of guys athletically, but stellar guys in general. Here is a group pic of TGG’s speedos. Yes, it says “Team Good Guys” on the back.

We will be arriving to Penticton on Sunday. Until then…

Building from within,
J

Thought I would share my IM morning playlist. I’ll put this playlist on random and get the morning rolling before I head down to the trasition area. I will post my transition area play list on my next blog.

Song // Artist
Something Sexy About the Rain // Kenny Chesney
Flake // Jack Johnson
My Wish // Rascal Flatts
Take Me or Leave Me // Rent Soundtrack
She’s Everything // Brad Paisley
Mr. Jones // Counting Crows
Message in a Bottle // John Mayer
These Days // Rascal Flatts
Bless the Broken Road // Rascal Flatts
Me and You // Kenny Chesney
Stand // Rascal Flatts
Where the Green Grass Grows // Tim McGraw
She’s Got it All // Kenny Chesney
Something Like That // Tim McGraw
Mayberry // Rascal Flatts
My Maria // Brooks & Dunn
Key Lime Pie // Kenny Chesney
Check Yes or No // George Strait
Track 3 // Sinclair
Big Girls Don’t Cry // Fergie
Public Affair // Jessica Simpson
Because of You // Ne-Yo
You Know What // Craig David
Bartender // T-Pain
When You’re Mad // Ne-Yo
High Love // Steve Winwood
All Night Long // Lionel Richie
Your Body is a Wonderland // John Mayer
Hold Me // Fleetwood Mac
Betty Davis Eyes // Rod Steward
Brand New Day // Sting
Beautiful Day // U2

2 comments:

Triracerboy said...

I'll be watching for you in Penticton!! Good luck.

John Shilt said...

John, thanks for the "Good Luck." Are you racing? What is your number? If not, definitely say hello if we cross paths and good luck to you.

See you at the races,
J