Sunday, October 7, 2007

Attempting Balance.....


It been a while, so I thought I would update what I have been doing over the past month. But first I want to say good luck to the TGG's in Hawaii. BDC, Dennis and Billy are racing as well as Kate, Marky V and Teresa. JD is racing in Florida as well. Good luck to you all, will definitely be keeping an eye on you on Iromanlive.

Training has definitely been put on the back burner as I have been preparing/interviewing for jobs and studying quite a bit. I was however able to fit in a couple of races since IM Canada, all for fun. The trip back from Canada was pretty uneventful, but long. I think it took my brother and I about 6 days to drive from Penticton to Winston-Salem. We stopped over in Kansas City for day to spend time with family. It was definitely nice to see my middle brother and his family. I don’t get to see them much and Kellan and Jaden are growing so fast.

Once I got back, I did a local sprint triathlon here in W-S called the Angel’s Triathlon. It is directed by one of our TRICOW club members Mick Gunter. He puts on a great race for a great cause. This year was special because it also kicked off a great foundation called the AJ Linville Foundation. The AJ foundation was started by another one of the TRICOW club members Aubrey Linville. They started Team AJ which was created to help spread the word about the AJ Foundation and also promote a healthy lifestyle by having them compete in their first triathlon. I think something like 50 people from Team AJ were doing their first triathlon. Lastly it was my birthday, can’t ask for too much more than being able to race for fun.

I hadn’t really done much training since it was 3 weeks post IM Canada, so I was out there to have some fun and see everyone that I hadn’t really seen all summer. I had started running a little about 2 weeks post Canada which was earlier than I have ever done, but it truly was at a snail pace, just to get my legs moving again. As for biking and swimming, I think I had ridden about 2-3 times since and swam about 4-5 times since the big day. So I was ready for a rude awakening, or at least my lungs and heart were. I hadn’t raced much hard stuff this summer, well none at all to be exact, so it was going to be fun to see what would happen. Well, nothing to exciting other than it hurt like hell and for the first time in a while, I asked myself “why did I like sprints?” Finished and hung out with all my “amigos.”

A week later, a buddy of mine Curtis asked me if I wanted to join him on a team with his wife, Paige (I went to PA school with her), and another classmate of mine Ann to do this event called the Marine Corps Ultimate Challenge Run.>
The Ultimate Challenge Mudrun consists of 4 person teams. The 4.2 mile course is an all-terrain race conducted on dirt roads, improved and unimproved trails through the training area. This trail includes mud holes, walls, trenches and other obstacles that require swimming, crawling, climbing and jumping. It was down in Columbia, SC so it was a bit of drive, but I was like what the heck.

Let me tell you, it was one of the most fun things I have ever done. I would definitely recommend this to anyone, it was just a total blast. We were a coed team and we actually did really well. I think we took like 73rd out of over 600 teams. It was pretty sweet. Depending on where I end up taking a job, I am definitely in for doing this again next year.

On the training frontier, I have begun to think about a running program. Project 26.2 needs to get started. Jeff posted a challenge to all the TRICOWS for the month of October to do 31 runs in 31 days. I thought this would be a good start to my running program. So far, I am 6 days into it, have done a minimum of 45 minute runs. I missed two days in a row while I was at an interview and the rule is supposed to be you can’t miss 2 days in a row, but I will make them up by doing a couple of two a days later in the month. I think I am going to stay off my bike for the winter for the most part and concentrate on running while maintaining a swim. All in all at this point, my main focus is getting the J-O-B. Here are my runs for the past few days:

Run//Time//Miles
1//46:37//5.4
2//48:08//5.4
3//45:53//??
4//48:49//6
5//46:14//6

Will be in touch,
J

No comments: