Thursday, June 28, 2007

The "New" look

Hope everyone is doing well. I see the TRICOWS are holding up. Per the race results in the series, looks like everyone is doing well. I have been here in Boulder for 21 days now. Let me first say that if you ever get a chance to go and hang in the Boulder area, it is well worth it. The scene here is downright awesome. From the backdrop of the mountains, the limitless amount of running trails, the climbs you can easily get to just a short ride a way and just the general feel and attitude here, it is truly a triathletes dream. The scenery is just spectacular, very difficult to put into words.

I am currently training a little over 20 hours a week. This time will gradually get longer. We are just finishing our first of three blocks. When Gordo asked me what my goals were for IM Canada, I told him that I wanted to run the run. My goal is to run 3:29:59. In doing so, my schedule will have me consistently running 6-7days/week. By accident, I have swam almost everyday here. I have only missed one day since I have been here. Talking with the other lads on the team and G, the plan is to make me a swimmer and in G”s words, “convince me not to use it.” This will help me conserve energy for the run. I am currently swimming 20,000 plus meters a week with one set a week over 5K. As for the bike, I haven’t been riding as much as I thought I would be, but I think that will come. What I have found so far is that resting has been the key ingredient to all of this. I have been quite tired but things are starting to come around. I ran 20+ miles yesterday and my recovery from the run has been pretty quick. The volume so far has been tolerable.

In addition to the volume of running, we are also participating in a run camp once a week with Bobby McGee (www.bobbymcgee.com) who is an internationally recognized run coach as one of the best in the sport. These 1.5 hour sessions every week are vital. He is the type of guy that can make you faster on your current fitness through form. Totally awesome guy and so much to learn from.

I’ll leave you with my latest adventure.....my haircut.

3 comments:

The Small Biz. Guru said...

Holy cow John... Your hair.. or lack there-of

Alicia Parr said...

Nice. The close-cropped look suits you, as compared to my husband, who is not allowed to go closer than a #3 ever again. That #1 do from a few years ago-- egad.

Enjoy your training out west. I found your blog through Gordo's and will add a link from mine too so I can keep up with your adventures.

John Shilt said...

Hey Alicia, hope you are doing well. It sound like it, great race at the aquathon and nationals. Thanks for adding my link...I am sure I will see at the races when I get back.

J