Thursday, June 28, 2007

Just another day....

I woke up this morning as usual at 5:30A to get some breakfast and coffee. Hit the road at 7:00A for my usual hour or so run. I have been running this route, which is called the “Frank Shorter Route.” Jeff calls it this b/c of the statue at the half-way point. It is a nice and flat run that runs along Boulder Creak with some trails.
It is a great benchmark run as I am acclimatizing. So the ritual is, to run to the Frank Shorter statue, give it a fist bump, and head back.
He is the half way point. The nostalgia behind this run and the fist bump is Frank Shorter won gold medal in the marathon at the 1972 Olympics and took 2nd in the ’76 Olympics. He not only was the marathon champion, but also a 10K national champion, which is quite impressive considering the distances are very different. He is one of the most decorated runners of all time. For me, I need all the help I can get, so good ole Frank gets the “bump” every time.

Today was the first time I swam with the group. Our coach is Jane Scott, who is Dave Scott’s sister. For those who don’t know who Dave Scott is, short and simple, he won IM Hawaii six times and was the first inductee into the Ironman Hall of Fame. He nickname is the “The Man” and he is and IM legend. So back to Jane. As they say, the fruit doesn’t fall from the tree, and it is true. Much like her brothers work ethic, she works us in the pool. Long story short, I swam 5,200 meters, the 2nd longest I have ever swam in a set, but by far the hardest swim I have ever done. To put things in perspective, I typically swam 3-5 days a week and at most 3,000m in a day. The fellas say that we at least swim 5,000m once a week. I have never been so beat in my life.

After a large rest period, Jeff and I headed out on an easy 30 mile ride to finish up the day. On our way out on the ride, we happen to converge with some pro cyclist from the Navigator Squad.
One of the cool things here in Boulder is the amount of world class athletes. I guess it never gets old, I am always start struck every time. I guess its the kid in me!

I took a picture of this sign b/c I thought it was interesting, I wish we had these signs up in W-S, especially the bottom part.


Well, that’s about it for today. Feeling much better everyday with the altitude. Won’t probably be doing any big workouts for a few more days. When those start are when the stories come. My last pic is of the award that Gordo won at Ironman Brazil...SAHHHH-WEET!!


Keepin it moving,
J

No comments: